Senanque Abbey is a Cistercian Abbey not so far from Gordes. It was established in 1148, and it has the typical Romantic architecture. It is composed by the main Church, a cloister and a dormitory.
In the middle of the summer you can see vast fields filled with lavander flowers!
We moved to Roussillon around 15.00. I had high expectations about this town and, fortunately, I didn’t get disappointed. Moving closer to Roussilon, the landscape changed and we observed huge ochre rocks around us, plus, houses were painted with different shades of ochre, as well.
If you like hiking You can’t miss a long walking through this landscape in the wild nature, I suggest to go to Sentier des ocre. The ticket is cheap, only 2.50 € per person.
It seems to be on Mars, especially if you go in the afternoon when the colours of the rocks are more intense.
At a certain point you will arrive to a fork and you will chose between 2 different paths: the yellow one is the shortest path (1 h), while the red one is the longest. It’s up to you!
- This is the official site of Roussillon and “Le sentier des ocres”: Office de tourisme, you will find many useful information about the city and the route.
Where to park:
- Fontaine-de-Vaucluse: in Avenue Robert Garcin street (https://goo.gl/maps/naFjsW23ehx), price: 4 euros/day
- Gordes: https://goo.gl/maps/YjLCkyVuZqT2 , price: 3 euros/day.
- Roussillon: https://goo.gl/maps/URSy65f317z , price: 2 euros/day.
Where we slept:
- Nizza: Hôtel Du Baou A few miles from Nice, we only recommend it if you are in the car and you can move freely. Cheap hotel suitable for short stays.
- Cavaillon: B&B Les Vigneres, Super super recommended !! Cheap, great location as a base, very nice owner and super helpful and above all cleanliness and quality of the impeccable structure.