If I told you to close your eyes and remember the most beautiful place you have ever seen in your life, what would come to your mind?
For me?… the Lake of Braies, in Trentino, nestled in the Dolomites.
Photographed on instagram more than 70.ooo times, tv set for a very popular italian fiction “Un passo dal cielo” and one of the most beautiful and evocative dolomitic lakes.
The best way to impress all its beauty in the mind is to follow the circular path that winds around it. Don’t worry .. the trakking is about 3.5 km long and can be covered in 1 hour and a half and the difference in height of 50m it makes it accessible to young and old people.
At the beginning of the path, you immediately see a building on stilts, here you can rent rowing boats to explore the lake. Availability also depends on the season, in winter the lake is completely frozen!
start the trek by turning left. The lake view begins to change and taking pictures is imperative.
Crossed the wood the landscape becomes evocative: you walk along a very high rock face overlooking the lake. From here the view is superb.
Halfway down the road, on the opposite side of the palafitte, there is an inlet made of stones. Here you have the view of the entire lake while behind it stands the mountain “Croda del Becco”.
From this point on, you enter the forest again and you return to the starting point. There is a small brick church, today owned by the Hotel Lago di Braies. In the hotel 133 SS prisoners from different German concentration camps found a first reception , deported to South Tyrol as hostages in 1945.
How to get:
- Using public transport from Bolzano:
- Direct train Bolzano-Franzensfeste Fortress (travel time about 45 ‘).
- Direct train Franzensfeste Fortress -Villabassa Braies / niederdorf Prags (journey time 1 hour and 9 minutes).
- Once you reach Villabassa, you reach Piazza Von Kurz, just a few minutes from the station. From here you can take the bus n ° 442 which in 20 minutes reaches the Braies lake. Usually the bus frequency is 30 minutes
- Once you get to Bolzano,it is better to buy the Mobilcard, a card that is valid for 1, 3 or 7 days and allows unlimited use of all public transport in the South Tyrol Integrated Transport. We have opted for the daily solution with a cost of € 15. Otherwise you can buy tickets from the Trenitalia website.
- Coming from Bolzano by car: take the A22 and off the highway in “Bressanone-Val Pusteria” exit. At this point take the “Strata statale 49” State Road 49. After passing Monguelfo, turn right, following the signs for Ferrara and “Lago di Braies”. After passing the village of San Vito, continuing on St. Veit you reach the parking lot of Lake Braies.
Where to park:
- In St. Veit there are 3 large paid parking lots. The cost is € 5 for the whole day. It is better to arrive very early
Where to eat:
- Near the lake there are bars and restaurants. Alternatively you can organize a packed lunch..long the route you will find many picnic tables where you can sit comfortably.
Technical data of the trek:
- 3.5 Km
- Difference in height: 50 m
- Journey time: 90 minutes excluding stops for pictures !!
- From mid-June to the end of September, open from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm. The cost is € 12.00 for 30 minutes, € 20.00 for 60 minutes.